Tuesday, October 23, 2007

God Being Chauffeured by the Pope


I stumbled upon this short but beautiful anecdote which was a part of an article on the business section of the Philippine Daily Inquirer and written by Ron Nathan.

Enjoy the story.

As everyone knows, the current Pope is German and that before he entered the priesthood, he drove fast cars. Nowadays, of course, he has to sit at the back of the bulletproof Popemobile. However, he has never lost his love of driving. On a long journey to a distant town, he asked the chauffeur if they could change places.

“I’m sorry, Your Holiness, but I cannot allow any harm to befall you and if anyone found out, I would lose my job,” the chauffeur said.

“I understand,” said the Pope. But he persisted nevertheless. Eventually they reached a rarely used road where the speed limit was 120 kph. Reluctantly, and with grave misgivings, he and the chauffeur switched places and clothes.

As soon as the Pope had the wheel, he put his foot down and soon the car was hurtling forward at 180 kph. The car was picked up by a radar trap.

“I got one, Captain,” said the police officer. “He’s doing 180!”

“Bring him in,” said the captain. “I don’t care who it is.”

The offer made the arrest but told the captain, “He’s very important.”

“I don’t care if it’s the mayor,” said the captain.

“No sir,” he’s bigger than that.

“I don’t care if it’s the senator.”

“Sir, he’s bigger than that.”

“Look, I don’t care if it’s the President.”

“Sir, he’s more important than the President.”

“Well, who on earth can it be?”

“Sir, I think it’s God. He’s being chauffeured by the Pope.”

3 comments:

docemdy said...

Funny.

I subscribe to PDI but missed seeing this anecdote. Thank you for posting this here.

Anna said...

thx for hopping.

if you want to do suicide, then DO it.

or if you change plan, i'll commend you to read o do something with anybody.

God bless!

A.Fuentes said...

haha That made me laugh. ^^